Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Love Your Pet? Valentine's Day Pet Safety Tips

Love is in the air with cupids arrow on the prowl this Valentine's Day. Perhaps you will be one of the lucky ones to be bitten by the love bug. If you are a pet owner it is important to show your furry Valentine some puppy love by keeping them safe. So, whether you are the Valentine sender or receiver here are some Valentine's Day pet safety tips to heed.

Forbidden Sweet Nothings

Valentines Day is not official without pledging your undying love to your sweet heart with a box of chocolate to satisfy her sweet tooth. It is important to remember that chocolate in all forms, especially dark & baking chocolate, can be poisonous & fatal to pets. For all you dark chocolate lovers, this type of chocolate contains methylxanthines, a caffeine like stimulant. If ingested can cause abnormal heartbeats, kidney failure, increased thirst, panting, vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, seizures and death. Also keep pets away from xylitol an artificial sweetener found in gum & candies. If ingested this sweetener can result in a sudden drop in blood sugar (hypoglycemia), depression, loss of coordination and seizures. So, make sure to keep all sweets & chocolates out of paws reach.

Keep Cocktails Away from Furry tailed friends

If you are going to be toasting & sipping a glass of champagne, cocktail or wine make sure to immediately wipe up any spills. Also, never leave your glass or alcoholic beverage unattended on your table & counter tops. Even the smallest sip of alcohol lapped up by your pet can have harmful affects. Alcohol pet consumption can cause tremors, central nervous system issues, vomiting, loss of coordination, difficulty breathing, diarrhea, metabolic disturbances and coma. Respiratory failure can even result if large amounts of alcohol is consumed.
Floral Do's & Don'ts

Did you know that lilies are fatal to cats & dogs? Although a beautiful sight to behold make sure lilies are not included in floral arrangements given to pet owners.
Other potentially poisonous flowers include tulips, amaryllis, daisies, chrysanthemums and baby’s breath. If the lucky bouquet recipient has a pet, do your research prior to going to the florist to see what flowers & plants are life threatening to pets. Flowers such as lilies can cause vomiting, upset stomach & diarrhea if ingested by pets. Also, kindly ask your florist to de-thorn roses & thorny flowers so your pet does not bite, step on or chew on the thorns.

Dinner by Candlelight

Valentines day is all about setting the mood & room a glow with candles. Make sure to put out the unattended fire once you are done with your romantic rendezvous. Pets can easily knock over a lit candle and cause a fire. Curious kittens especially run the risk of getting burned or singed by candle flames.

Valentine's Day Decorations & Gift Wraps

After all the Valentines festivities make sure to put away & clean up ribbons, bows, cellophane, wrapping paper, balloons. Pets often mistake gift wrappings & decorations as chew toys which can pose as a choking hazard or cause intestinal blockage if ingested.

My Funnies Valentines

Shop for eco-friendly, all natural & organic goodies for your furry family member & travel buddy. We carry a great selection of Odor Free Bully Sticks / Dog Treats / and Dog Toys / Dog Grooming Spa products & more!

No comments: