So, while we are puckering up this Valentines season, whispering sweet nothings & sniffing our bouquets. Let's not forget our loving, deserving & loyal furry family members whose breath & pearly whites (or not so pearly whites) need love to. Show some puppy love by marking your calender. Celebrate February's National Pet Dental Health Month with us and our friends at the American Veterinary Medical Association . Here are some pet dental facts to get you & your pet smiling and brushing away!
Did you know?
1. 80% of humans brush their teeth at least twice a day, but very few pet owners brush their pets teeth.
2. Signs of gum disease includes yellow & brown build up of tarter around the gum line, inflammation & bad breath
3. One of the most common dental problems is broken or chipped teeth, some of which is caused by aggressively chewing on hard objects. Older & senior dogs are more prone to have this problem.
4. More then 80% of dogs & 70% of cats show signs of oral disease by age 3, now that's a big deal in dog & cat years!!
Here are some tips to keep your dogs pearly whites gleaming all year round.
1. Inspect their teeth on a regular basis. If your dog breath is unbearable and their is discoloration or tarter present these could be signs of serious health issues. Seek the advice of a vet ASAP.
2. When your dog goes in for his yearly checkup make sure you schedule a complete dental checkup as well.
3. Brush your dogs teeth at least 2-3 times a week. But for all you newbies once a week is a good start. Maintaining a daily teeth brushing regime is the key to good health and prevention. Although it is best to develop & nurture a dental routine at a younger pup age, but don't worry its never to late to get your older dog accustomed to regular brushing.
4. Chew toys and hard treats are a good start, but it should not be a substitute for brushing your dogs teeth.
Shop www.pawlux.com for eco-friendly, all natural & organic goodies for your furry family member & travel buddy. We carry a great selection of Odor Free Bully Sticks / Dog Treats / and Dog Toys / Dog Grooming Spa products & more!