Fact: Three quarters of the planet is covered in water but only 1 to2 % can support its inhabitants (two & four-legged)
So that is way it is more important then ever to practice water conservation and be mindful of the water we waste & consume everyday. So, I challenge all my eco pals to make small puppy strides everyday to conserve water & save the planet. Here are a few simple things you can do to conserve water, energy and save money. So, lets start the New Year off on a good green foot and get started together !!
1. Retire that old flusher (no ladies not your hubbies) and upgrade with a modern low-flush toilet which uses half the water and are more energy efficient.
2. Install new fixtures-A low-flow shower head without sacrificing good water pressure. In doing so you will reduce your shower water use by 20 to 60 percent. Great solution for parents with teens who hog all the shower time. We've all been their!! Also, put aerators on all your faucets. They reduce the amount of water but add air bubbles to the flow remains lively. This way you can reduce your household water flow by 1.2 gallons a minute.
3. Unfortunately, when fixing a leak a band aid won't do. Check your pipes and water equipment frequently for leaks, which can waste thousands of gallons of water a year. Be a good neighbor & friend by letting them know when you spot a leak.
4. Make sure the appliances have an Energy Star seal of approval. Purchase water- energy saving appliances, such as front-loading washing machine and low-water-use dishwasher, and wash only full loads.
5. Turn off the tap while brushing your pearly whites and save at least 2 gallons in one brushing session. For all you clean shaven gentlemen fill the basin with water for shaving and washing.
6. Bath your fruits and vegetables in a bowl of water. Calling all husbands for kitchen duty. Fill your sink to wash and rinse dishes, instead of running the water. If husband in "MIA" you can always go to plan B and rely on your dogs dish washing lick technique. - Just Kidding !! Don't think your dinner guest would approve.
7. Landscape your property using native plants appropriate to your climate, so that they won't require excessive watering and will retain soil moisture.
8. Harvest Your rain Water- Use a rain barrel to collect water from your roof's downspout to irrigate those thirsty plants in your garden.
9. Sweep, rather than spray down, your driveway and sidewalk.
10. Don't Spike the Water- Pouring chemicals down drains & flushing drugs down toilets is a big "No No" because it goes into our waterways from which we drink. So protect our water sources.
Leave a comment on other tips to conserve water. Lets all do our part !!
Shop www.pawlux.com for eco-friendly, all natural non-toxic & safe dog products. Going green with Fido never was so easy !!