We have some good news worth barking about. Our friends at DogFriendly.com, a
nationwide city & travel guide site for dog owners, compiled a 2009 list of the Top 10 dog-friendly vacation destination cities in the United States. Rank is based on the quality of dog-friendly accommodations, transportation, beaches, parks, attractions, stores, dining and things to do with your dog.
1. San Francisco -- Luxurious hotels. Plenty of pet-friendly patio dining. Many off-leash beaches and areas. Ride the cable car, walk the Golden Gate.
2. Austin -- Dine in outdoor cafes. Visit the Zilker Botanical Gardens. See the Congress Street Bats. Many off-leash parks.
3. Boston -- Tour Boston harbor by boat. Walk the Freedom Trail and explore many National Historical Sites. Your leashed dog is welcome on the subway.
4. Northern Virginia -- Enjoy a yappy hour or dine in dog- friendly Alexandria. Take the Canine Cruise. Visit outdoor monuments and nearby Washington.
5. Portland (OR) -- Enjoy off-leash areas and the famous Rose Gardens. Visit the Saturday Outdoor Market. Have a drink at the Lucky Lab.
6. Charleston (SC) -- Take a ghost tour or walking tour. See the grounds of the Magnolia and Boone Hall Plantations. Visit the beach.
7. Chicago -- Visit Navy Pier. Ride the Canine Cruise. See Buckingham Fountain, take a walk in Oak Park. Many dog-friendly patio restaurants.
8. San Diego -- Visit fabulous dog beaches. Shop at dog-friendly Otay Ranch with its dog park. Dine outdoors and hike many parks.
9. New York -- Stay in a fine hotel. Take a walking tour of lower Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge. Shop at Time Warner Center. See the Balto Statue and Central Park.
10. Ann Arbor (MI) -- Visit Nichols Arboretum, rent a dog- friendly canoe. Visit nearby gardens and farms. Visit many local parks.
Honorable & tailwagging Mentions: Dallas, Madison/Wisconsin Dells, Minneapolis, Salt Lake, Seattle